It’s not a lie, I LOVE FOOD and I LOVE BBQ! I love GOOD BBQ! While the meat is important when BBQing, so is the sauce! Th favorite in our house is Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. We use it on meat, pizza and now quesadillas.
While counting calories, sometimes it seems like we eat the same thing over and over again, which is super boring. I have always been into following chefs and looking up recipes but I really like this spin of taking a favorite recipe and making it healthier for you. I recently started following Skinny Taste on Facebook and I love the recipes, so much so I bought a couple cookbooks and signed up for weekly emails. While the recipes provided are GREAT, I have to make some adaptions to them to suite our life. Here is the link to the recipe and below is my personal twist on it. My version is slightly over 400 calories, coming in under 410 calories!
This recipe is for one full quesadilla, it is easily adaptable to make it fit your dietary needs, for me I go really light on the cheese.
- 2 Whole Wheat Tortillas (I used mission tortillas)
- 1 Tablespoon BBQ Sauce (Sweet Baby Ray’s Sweet & Spicy is my go to)
- 2 Ounces of chopped Grilled Chicken (Leftovers work GREAT or my go to in a hurry is Simple Truth Flame Grilled Chicken Breast, sold at our Kroger store)
- 2 Tablespoons of shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 3 Tablespoons of Pico de Gallo or Salsa
- 1 Tablespoon of cilantro chopped up
- 1 Tablespoon of red onion, finely chopped
- Warm griddle or frying pan on medium high heat
- Place 1 whole wheat tortilla on the griddle, spread the BBQ sauce on that tortilla and add chicken, cheese, cilantro and red onion.
- Place the other tortilla on top.
- Let the quesadilla crisp and then flip it.
- Ready when the opposite side is crisp.
- Cut and serve with your pico de gallo or salsa
While this recipe can be adapted in so many different ways, BBQ Sauce with cheddar cheese is one of my favorite combos! This basic version comes in under 410 calories. You can always choose low carb tortillas which will knock off even more calories or allow you to add more cheese.
Drop me a comment👇 with your thoughts.